(866) 438-8368

Keeping your Tent Papers in Order

Unlike show dogs or secret agents, you don’t often have someone walk up and demand to see your tent’s papers (though maybe your tent has really good breeding – we don’t know). However, the studious tent installer should always make sure they have on hand or access to all of the required forms and regulatory information to keep even the most hawk-eyed park attendant satisfied. Here are a few of the common forms and papers you may require as you go about your tenting way!

  1. Flame Certificate (provided per applicable tents by Celina)

Simple enough, your tent’s Flame Certification shows anyone who asks that the materials used to create the fabric portion of your canopy have passed various flame spread and flame retardant standards. These are what keep tents from burning well, to allow guests to get away from the danger area and help to minimize the fire that needs to be put out by the fire department. The requirements for flame certifications vary from state to state. In an effort to make our certification as wide-reaching as possible, Celina uses the testing parameters set out by the California Fire Marshal, which is accepted in most areas.


  1. Engineering Certification (provided per applicable tents by Celina)

In most areas, tents with larger footprints require additional checking to make sure the structure can support itself. Tents that span that much area are going to require additional supports or engineering in order to maintain stability, even under preferred conditions. In this case your tent may need to be checked by a Professional Engineer doing a Finite Element Analysis (FEA). This allows the specialist to check over the design without having to build the sample first, identifying possible problem areas prior to manufacturing. This allows the final product to reach a higher quality faster. This style of certification is less common than the flame certification, but still very important.


  1. Tent Installation Permit (customer responsibility through County Building Office)

These are the general ok’s that you get to set up your shelter, and the procurement will vary from state to state, city to city. Permits require information such as the tent size to be installed, the duration of the installation, the materials used in the tent’s structural supports, and any other site-specific information that is pertinent to your event.


  1. Safety/Warranty Information (provided per applicable tents by Celina)

Every manual for a Celina shelter comes with a list of safety precautions to help you stay safe during installation, striking, and use of the tent. These guidelines are laid out to make sure you and your set up crew survive the entire set up experience, all limbs and digits intact. While not technically required by anyone who will be inspecting your installation site, it’s still good to know just what is recommended for safe tent operation (and what’s covered by warranty).

Keeping tabs on just what you are rated for, what your tent is rated for, and the like may seem very nit-picking, but most of this kind of thing is just bookkeeping – after all, checking that the fabric tops you buy are fire resistant is a before-you-purchase type choice and from then in it’s just having that document on file. One and done, as they say.

Have any other questions about tents, papers, processes, or more? Contact a member of our Customer Account Manager team and chat away! We can be reached by phone - (866) 438-8368 – during business hours or send us an email to Sales@Celina.com.